7.26.2010

Newsletter Numero Uno:




Dear Family and Friends,


As of September 3rd, 2010, I will be embarking on a journey of a lifetime in the lovely city of Houston, Texas. I have been accepted by an organization called Mission Year (http://missionyear.org) to love on the people of Houston! They are all about the Acts 2 Church; community, discipleship, and spreading the love of Christ. While I am there my team and I will be focusing on their basics: 1.) Community Service, 2.) Church Partnership, 3.) Relational Impact, 4.) Justice, 5.) Christian Community, and 6.) Personal Discipleship. I will be serving 4 days a week at a community service sight and will be developing meaningful relationships with my neighbors and my teammates, in the name of Jesus Christ.


I heard about Mission Year 4 or 5 years back at Cornerstone Music Festival. About a month ago I was praying and contemplating what to do this year; asking God whether or not He wants me to go back to school and what He has for me during the fall, knowing the Mission Year application deadline was over. A few days later an e-mail from Mission Year was waiting for me, telling me that they have extended the deadline to July 15th. They also went on to say that they are developing a brand new pilot team in Houston that will be focusing on the Arts. Incorporating mission work and the Arts is only what I have been dreaming of and have felt God's calling for me to do for what seems like forever! This passion for inner-city areas was birthed from my involvement with Highland Park Community Outreach in an after-school program. The community I experienced there was contagious. Those kids were outstanding and the need that was so prevalent in their lives truly touched my heart and is a need that I simply cannot ignore. What an awesome opportunity to live my dream, touching peoples lives in the name of Jesus through art, in Houston, Texas. What an incredible God-orchestrated miracle! What are the odds?


The purpose of this letter is not purely to keep you up-to-date with the events going on in my life, I would also like to invite you along in my journey, through your support. During my year in Houston, I will be self-supported through donations, with $12,000 being my total goal for the year. I have included an envelope if you are able to support me financially. An equally appreciated support method is prayer. Prayer is huge when it comes to actively seeking God's will at every moment of every day. Knowing that I have a band of sisters and brothers praying for me will be a great source of strength and encouragement. You can also journey with me through reading my stories and thoughts on my blog at { asalvagedheart.blogspot.com }. Thank you.


Sincerely,

Nicole Davis


p.s. -- I also have a "donate" button on the right menu if you are interested. Also, you can donate through the Mission Year support site { missionyear.org/support/nicoledavis } where you can choose to make a one-time donation or monthly pledges AND in a couple weeks you will receive a receipt for your taxable donation!

No comments:

Post a Comment